TYPSA began its activity in South America at the end of the 70s, with several hydraulic and road projects in Ecuador. Since this first milestone, the company has continued its expansion in the area, participating in a large number of projects and with a physically presence in many of the region´s countries. In these areas, numerous projects have been carried out, developed primarily in the field of cooperation, in accordance with international standards and the requirements of multilateral financial institutions.
Paraguay is one of TYPSA´s priority markets in Latin America, with a continued presence developing projects for over 30 years. In addition to design and construction supervision, TYPSA has, particularly in the last decade, been providing services related to the management of infrastructure development programmes, financed mainly by the Inter-American Development Bank, providing significant added value in terms of governance and sustainability.
TYPSA is involved in the management of large-scale programmes, with teams specialising in project management and highly qualified in technical skills. The company has managed programmes, totalling over USD 2,000 million, which have a great impact on the living conditions of the country´s inhabitants. These programmes are carried out in both rural and urban areas, mainly in the transport, and water and sanitation sectors, applying, notably, socio-environmental standards that go beyond the country’s own legislation.
The main tasks include the following activities:
- Specialised professional advice
- Prioritisation of the project portfolio
- Monitoring of contractual compliance with financing agreements
- Planning, risk management and monitoring of programme implementation
- Contract management
- Monitoring of compliance with socio-environmental provisions
- Carrying out administrative, financial, and legal tasks
- Optimisation of resources, performance evaluation
- Institutional training and knowledge transfer
The main multilaterally funded project management programmes implemented in the country include the following:
- Management of the drinking water and sanitation programme for small communities (EGP), from which more than 60,000 inhabitants in rural and indigenous areas have benefited.
- Consulting services for the management and development of minor road designs. National Rural Roads Programme Stage 2 – Phase II, in particular the improved the level of service in the intervened network, of more than 1,500 km, including innovative ways to carry out routine maintenance activities.
- Specialised support for the implementation of the Integral Sanitation Programme of the Bay of Asunción and the Metropolitan Area, which has been one of the main milestones in the field of water and sanitation in the country, as well as in the management of solid waste in the metropolitan area of the capital.
- Technical and fiduciary support (ECATEF) in IDB-funded programmes, in road project management of the UEP MOPC, which included the management of road infrastructure projects throughout the country, within the framework of five loans totalling USD 1,400 million.
- Assistance and support services for the Project Coordinating Unit of the Andean Development Corporation (CAF), including the upgrade and maintenance programme of paved routes by service levels, along 146 km of roads.
- Support services to FONPLATA, a regional programme (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay) to advise the entity on the implementation of projects for climate resilient infrastructure.
It is also worth mentioning this activity´s contribution to the achievement of some of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), specifically to the Goals 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 15 defined by the United Nations.